The School of Engineering and Architecture of Fribourg (HEIA-FR), a member institution of the Uni- versity of Applied Sciences and Arts of Western Switzerland (HES-SO), offers bilingual study programs at the BA and MA levels. The HEIA-FR invites applications to fill the position of:
Academic Associate UAS - Research Associate in the Field of Biopolymers & Materials (Keratin-Based AMPs)
The EU HORIZON project RELIANCE aims to design and develop smart response self-disinfectant antimicrobial nanocoatings based on a new range of smart antimicrobial actives. Such actives are biobased antimicrobial peptides (AMP’s) extracted from protein-containing waste streams. The goal is to attach the AMP’s to various organic and inorganic substrates to allow a long-term action in the targeted application space but being benign to the environment.
Our team will work on the extraction of these AMP’s and the development of selected active nanocoatings.
Mission and Scope of Activities
- Optimal keratin extraction from poultry feathers and wool followed by a selective hydrolysis/cleavage and isolation of keratin-based AMPs for optimal bioactive properties
- Development and optimization of surface modification processes with AMPs and characterization of the surface-modified substrates
- Applicants must have a Master degree, a Ph.D. degree, or an equivalent experience in (bio)chemistry or (bio)chemical engineering science, or any other related chemical sciences with preference of having experience with protein chemistry and peptides.
- Wish to pursue interdisciplinary R&D and interest in collaborating in an international EU project
- Motivated to work on a challenging and highly innovative project
- Ambition, persistence, and the ability to work and think independently are essential requirements
- Excellent communication skills in English (both written and oral), French is a plus
- Fixed-term employment contract: 2 years with extension option