The School of Engineering and Architecture of Fribourg (HEIA-FR), a member institution of the Uni- versity of Applied Sciences and Arts of Western Switzerland (HES-SO), offers bilingual study programs at the BA and MA levels. On behalf of its iTEC Institute and in collaboration with the University of Neuchâtel and the EPFL, the HEIA-FR invites applications to fill the position of:
UAS Academic Associate (doctoral student) in Soil Science and Hydrogeology
Mission and Scope of Activities
- Carry out a doctoral thesis project, in collaboration with the University of Neuchâtel and the EPFL, in the domain of soil science (pedology) with a particular focus on the role of urban soils in the hydric and thermal regulation of soil
- Study the influence of urban soils and their properties (such as soil structure) on water and heat regulation; carry out field research, experiments and digital simulations; define directives for practitioners at the municipal level involved in the creation or management of urban soils
- Teaching duties at the bachelor level along with supervision of Master’s thesis projects (around 20%)
- Master’s degree in environmental science and/or hydrogeology with a specialization in soil science (soil physics), or an equivalent degree
- Field experience (instrumentation and analysis of water transfer in soil), laboratory experience (soil physics), and an interest in modeling
- High-level mastery of technical and statistical tools
- Interest in interdisciplinary research
- A valid driving license is indispensable.
- Advanced English proficiency (written and oral) and working knowledge of French
Fixed-term employment contract: 4 years
Interested? Send in your complete application (cover letter; curriculum vitae; grade reports; diplomas, certificates, or attestation if still studying; 3 references) by clicking on the Apply («Postuler») button below.