Fanuc Alpha S150iA
Polishing for metalography
From Material to Application
The iRAP institute addresses scientific and technical challenges in the field of plastics processing. It offers concrete and efficient solutions to the specific demands of the industrial sector. The competences offered by iRAP range from the material to its application (« Materials - Design - Process ») while taking into account the product life cycle (« Product life cycle »).
The iRAP institute consists of a highly-qualified team of experts and state-of-the-art equipment. Its strength lies in its ability to be a one-stop shop for the industry which can address complex technological problems related to plastics processing (packaging, mechatronics, medical, automotive, etc.).
Through short-, medium- and long-term applied research and development (R&D) projects, the institute carries out projects by going through all the stages necessary for their successful completion: from the specifications to the finished product. The iRAP institute's fields of competence are based on its four strategic research areas:
- Plastic and ceramic injection moulding (CIM): Design and development of injected plastic and ceramic products and their moulds, rheological and mechanical simulation, prototyping on injection machines, CIM sintering and debinding, injection of bonded polymer magnets.
- Extrusion, compounding and material characterisation: Development of high added value compounds, prototyping on extrusion and compounding machines, characterization of material properties and tests laboratory.
- Mould surface technologies and nanotechnologies: Coatings, texturing and tribology in the field of plastic injection.
- Composites and lightweight structure design: Design and development of products in lightweight structures, composites, continuous fibre, mechanical simulation, prototyping.
Industry partners who choose to work with iRAP can benefit from project co-funding by the Swiss Confederation (through Innosuisse, the Swiss Innovation Agency), the Cantons (as part of its New Regional Policy, “NPR”), and the European Union R&D Framework Program. iRAP also offers collaboration in the form of services (mandate).
Depending on the nature of the project, iRAP has the capacity to combined knowledge and expertise from the other HEIA-FR institutes and competence centres:
- Plastics Innovation Competence Center (PICC) for sustainable materials & product solutions;
- The Institute for Chemical Technology (ChemTech) for polymer chemistry;
- The Institute for Complex Systems (iCoSys) for data analytics;
That enables iRAP to offer complete and pragmatic industrial solutions.